Growing Toward a Dark Perfection Pt. 1

This story is dedicated to the Memory of Landis Taylor. A man who told some of the most amazing whoppers you've ever heard. He showed me the importance of having fun and enjoying life, despite being in a cult.


The ground. Morning.





I think I have a brain, I must if I'm able to question. If I'm able to think. It's dark and I can't move. Every time I try to move I get a little stronger. Each time I try I can hear a little better and see a little better. It's just so dark. Where am I? What happened to the doctors, my wife, my daughter? What happened to me?




With a load screech and a crack the lid of the casket breaks apart and flies upward and away along with the dirt and grass. It flew up until it was a pin prick in the blindingly bright sky.  I struggled up to a sitting position and see myself if a suit I've never worn. There is no way. No way! This has to be a dream. I should crawl out of here, but I'm so scared and I can't move.


That's when I heard the singing. At first it was just a feint melody in the distance, but it was quickly heading my way. I'm still not coordinated, but I have to get out of here and see what's going on. Wait, I know that song.


Make the truth your own!


This can't be real. It can't be true.


Just as I lurched my way to the top of the grave, a hand appeared.


Please, take my hand brother! I sunk this foreign boot into the softest notch of soil and lunged at his outreached hand. He pulled me up without a struggle.


The man who pulled me up was dressed very oddly. He looked like a character from one of the one of the convention videos.


Quick, drink this. You'll feel better in no time.


I too a sip, though I wasn't really thirsty.


Drink as much as you can, you can drink the rest later. My name is Neb. I'm here to see that you are comfortable on your way back.


I stood up and shook his hand.


I'm Landis. Is this what I think it is? Have I been??


Resurrected? Neb interrupts. Yes, yes brother you have and this is the new world.




I could feel my heart beating in my chest. I could also feel that there was something powerful in the drink he'd given me. There was a kind of stoned vigor that was coming over me. I felt strong, and focused but still a bit confused.




I need to look for my family. If I'm here, surely they made it as well. My daughter was only 2 years old.


We'll get you an answer to those questions in time. For now we need to get you to the closest Temple. There is an angel their who will be able to connect you with all your loved ones who may have survived.


Outside of the cemetery was a thick forest as far as the eyes could see. Neb led me away from my grave through a barely traveled pathway that led to a dirt road.


I could hear the singers in the distance.




I thought there would be more than just one person. Where are the people I hear singing. They are all around in the forest. The songs they sing are tuned each individual. Have another drink Landis.


Where are we exactly? I lived in San Francisco. This doesn't look like a place I'd be buried. Where are all the buildings, there should at least be ruins.


You've been resting a long time. Neb reaches in his satchel and  pulls out a glowing device. According to my report it's been about 10 years since Armageddon. Most ruins have been broken down and recycled.


What else do you know about me? I know that you died 1 year prior to Armageddon and that you died by your own hand. I would guess this is why you seem so surprised that you are here now.


Neb puts his hand on my shoulder and pauses the walk.




Look, there is no judgment as it has to do with any who have come back. There is only joy. Try not to take in too much at once. After all we have eternity.


This drink seemed to be exceptionally sweet.




What exactly is this drink. It's something that will help you grow to perfection.


How does that work? Was I resurrected into an imperfect body?


Perfection is much more than just your physical body. There is also a spiritual perfection that must be achieved through experience.


I decided that would be my last real sip of this elixir. The last I took seemed to cause even more confusion than the one before. Yet, I feel like I could walk forever.




What time period are you from Neb? I'm from sometime close to the first century. When some of the most exciting events in our history were taking place.


Did you have a family, did they make it?


There was a awkward pause. I hadn't made much eye contact with Neb, however this pause gave me an opportunity to peek over at him. He looked like he was searching for an answer. It was as if he couldn't remember it.




Yes! Of course. I had sons and daughters and a wife. I haven't found them yet, however I'm confident that they are here or will wake up soon. The resurrection has not yet closed. Jehovah is still calling those in their memorial tombs. They will be


He was sweating, so was I and for the first time I could feel the heat of the day. I felt tired. Looking closely at Neb; I could see his body was starting to wilt. It was almost like he was melting.


He reached in his satchel again and pulled out a large gourd and took a big drag. The liquid poured from the cracks of his mouth. I looked down and his hand was catching every drop before it hit the ground and he cuffed each droplet and poured in back into the gourd. It took everything I could muster to keep my face from exposing my inner shock.


Are you ok Neb?


Look! In the distance! Bethel 715!


It was as if it appeared out of nowhere. A towering white ziggurat, just ahead of us. How did I miss it?


Neb's gait increased. We were walking at a pretty brisk pace now, however I was struggling. Should I take another drink? Maybe just a sip, to get me into this place. I don't even know what's in this stuff. I don't even know if this is all real!


I decided against that sip. My body was tired, but as time passes my mind seems to be clearing.


We arrived at the ziggurat in what felt like seconds. The entrance didn't seem to have doors. There was a only a very bright inscription.


"Temple of the Living God"


Neb again pulls out his glowing device and walks toward the building, however before he gets to the entrance, he turns back to me.


Landis, I can tell that your spirit has waned and that you are not taking in the needed spiritual nourishment. Please drink and become strong. The temple is a holy place and your spiritual fitness must be optimal.


I'm not going in there Neb, not until you tell me what's in this stuff!


It's Mana of course. Mana from Heaven Landis. Milk and Honey that Jehovah has provided us so that we may be sustained through the wilderness.


Did it not sustain us? Look at the road behind us.


I did look behind me and the road we'd traveled was gone. The only thing I could see was a dense dark wood.




What happened to the road we were on!? There was a dirt road! There was no switchback or turn off. How!?


Neb approached me. He became uncomfortably close.


The empty friendliness that he wore for the entirety of the journey now turned to a stern seriousness.




You need to drink this.


Why?
What kind of Milk and Honey makes me feel like I can walk forever and not drop a bead of sweat!?


They will only accept a certain level of imperfection and it correlates to the amount of time you've been resurrected. They will know; they can see everything.


He delivered this information firmly and with a lucid clarity that told me that I could not be dreaming. In fact at the moment I knew that I was experiencing something real and it was quite nightmarish.


Please, drink it all Landis. He whispered, now with desperate concern.


Neb's break in character was the first sign of  humanity that I recognized in him. It seemed like he was fighting some kind of programming in order to deliver what could only be describe as a warning.


So I drank the Mana. What choice did I have? I drank it down to the last drop. I knew I needed to find my family and if possible find out what's going on in this "new world."





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wound that Never Heals

Intro

They Were Right About You